05 April 2013

How to be an Ambivert, Part 1 of Some

We have introverts, extroverts, and yesambiverts. Ambiverts, as the name would suggest, are those of us who fall somewhere between introversion and extraversion. As a matter of fact, I think I'm one.

Based on the introvert and extrovert questionnaires, I fell somewhere in between. All my life, I've identified as an introvert and all of a sudden, I'm not. This can mean one of several things:

  1. I'm a really good pseudo-extrovert
  2. Somewhere along the 18 years of my life, I've developed extroverted qualities to enhance my inner pseudo-extrovert
  3. I'm simply an ambivert and never even realized
While I was compiling that list of possibilities explaining the sudden unearthing of hidden identity, I realized that there is no way that I'm an extrovert. No way. Absolutely NONE. 
First I'd like to point out something important: being introverted is not a bad thing. Seriously, it isn't. About 50% of the population is an introvert or introvert-leaning (like me) so chances are, you know quite a number of introverts. 

Anyway, I concluded that I can't be an extrovert because no matter how much I enjoy going out or spending time with my friends, my ideal vacation would be spent reading on the beach, I enjoy lazing around at home, and if I could, I would just stay at home and waste away for the rest of my life although that is incredibly unhealthy and I do not recommend that to anyone. But no, I do not relish massive social interaction or social activity in groups larger than the number of fingers I have on either hand. Heck, I didn't even go to prom and I severely doubt I actually missed out on anything momentous.

But yes, I am an introversion-leaning ambivert. I'll have to continue reading my book to find out if that's already an established identity. But if not, this is written proof that I've independently arrived to this conclusion without the aid of outside sources. It probably is though.

More to come in Part 2...

No comments:

Post a Comment