17 April 2013

Baking 101: What NOT to Do

Since coming home, one thing that I have absolutely become addicted to, and perhaps slightly obsessed with, is baking. With one quick glance at my Instagram profile, you will fully understand my feelings toward baked goods.

So far I've made:
Raspberry cupcakes
Chocochip cookies (TONS of them)
Nutella chocochip cookies
Banana bread
Zucchini bread
Double fudge brownies
Monkey bread
Sugar cookies
Chocolate chip muffins
Chocolate bundt cakes
(failed) French macarons
Microwave brownies
Chocolate cupcakes

They're all very simple items, nothing too fancy and for the most part, I've been very successful...
BUT for every time that I've failed, I've learned what NOT to do:

1. DON'T confuse baking soda and baking powder. Read ingredients carefully!

2. DON'T skimp on vanilla extract. Imitation vanilla is a-okay in my book.

3. DON'T forget to grease and/or flour your pans! Unless you're using cupcake liners, you should grease and flour your pans so that your freshly baked goods can come out without a problem.

4. DON'T stick your baked goods in the fridge because they will get dry and sad :(

I suppose that ends my tirade of what not to do, so here are some things you should keep in mind:

- Always follow the directions to a T! Substituting some ingredients is okay if you're looking for a healthier snack, but if the directions calls for sifted flour, sift the flour. DON'T be lazy.

- Don't be afraid to experiment, but do it lightly. Don't just toss things into your batter because you feel like it.

That's all for today, folks! Happy baking!

xo J

No comments:

Post a Comment