30 March 2012

Back to the Roots

Recently realized that among all this college hubbub and with everything else going on, I completely forgot about the love of my life. And to add fuel to the fire, part of the reason why I started blogging was to share my love with the rest of the world. It's architecture.

Favorite architect? Le Corbusier. He defined modern architecture and embodies everything that I believe in.

Corbusier's Villa Savoye in Poissy, France


Favorite fictional architect? Howard Roark, of Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead. My hero.

Things I love about being an architect:
  • the 12 am adrenaline rush the day before final review
  • restarting from scratch days before final review
  • it's a science and an art
  • creating something that others can experience just as you have
  • you experience the world in a different light
  • you learn to appreciate things better
  • looking at pretty things 24/7
  • putting things together
  • architects eat, live, breathe, sleep, embody architecture
Things I hate about being an architect:
  • the 12 am rush the day before final review
  • you get paid squat
  • arch school is going to leave a huge hole in my painkillers "wallet"
  • drafting by hand
  • architects eat, live, breathe, sleep, embody architecture
Things I love:
  • Cathedrals
  • Rose Windows
  • Upscale minimalism
  • Open floor plans
  • Rooftop gardens
  • High ceilings
  • LIGHT.
  • Parisian detail
Things I hate:
  • Stucco walls
  • Row houses
  • Houses that look the same on a single street
  • Drafting Tables
  • Copies of the Parthenon
  • conglomerates

Some pretty things to look at:
The Eames House, Ray and Charles Eames

Beauvais Cathedral
Rem Koolhaas' Seattle Public Library


Sadly though, I will not be attending architecture school although I have a choice between Pratt, Spitzer, PhilaU and  RPI. Instead, I will be going to the only school on my acceptance list that does not have an accredited arch program. Ironic, isn't it? Just a while ago my heart was dead-set on becoming an architect, but I'd like to explore my options before settling down with a definite major. Right now, I'm leaning toward interior architecture or interior design. Lots more artsy. Oh, and a lot less math.

Cheerio!
J

No comments:

Post a Comment