18 May 2013

The (Semi-)Ultimate NYC Summer Bucket List

There are 101 days until my first day of class (whoop) and in order for me to take advantage of the time until then, I've decided to do what I really don't want to do... conform. Now you may say, Well if you don't want to conform, then don't! No one's stopping you. Do or don't do whatever you want! (well that's what I would say to myself) I'm conforming via bucket list. "O GOD NO," I would typically reply. But in order for me to have a productive summer, it must be done. Here it is:

Summer 2013 
(18 May - 28 August)
  1. MoMA PS1 Visit; It's been a while since the last time I've been and at this point, I really have no reason not to go. Plus, the rain room is incredibly intriguing.
  2. Brooklyn Museum Visit; I'm still kicking myself for missing Keith Haring.
  3. Restaurant Week; Having started with Industria Argentina, Plein Sud, and Kittichai, Restaurant Week indulgences must continue! I'm thinking A Voce and someplace French.
  4. Smorgasburg; Brooklyn's beloved flea food market is back starting this weekend! Saturdays in Williamsburg and Sundays in DUMBO never looked better.
  5. New Museum Visit; The New Museum's annual Block Party is on July 20 this summer, located just up the street from my place of hellish former employment. If you can't make it on July 20, admission on Thursday evenings from 7pm to 9pm is free of charge.
  6. Weekend Matinees; A movie to start and brunch to cap off your morning. Does it make me juvenile for admitting that I'm most excited for Monster University?
  7. Artichoke; It's been too long since my last slice of gourmet pizza
  8. HKDBF; In all the years that I've been to the Dragon Boat Festival, I've never actually witnessed the races. Instead, I collected all the useless freebies.
  9. Bakery hopping; If you can't make macarons, it's entirely justifiable to spend an entire day eating them. Cake too. 
  10. ESB Observation Deck; I feel like an inauthentic New Yorker for never having been up to the 102nd floor. But I guess that makes me a true New Yorker.
  11. Hudson River Kayaking; Note to self: Wear appropriate attire this time around.
Don't underestimate this short stack of things to do! Unlike typical touristy lists that include walking across the Bklyn Bridge, Central Pk rowboating, Broadway show-seeing, and Statue of Liberty visiting, I'd like to consider this a jaded New Yorker's flexible guide for a good summer. Plus everything is pretty cheap if not FREE. Poor college kids like me can't put down $100 on a show despite every desire to.

Have fun, kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment