17 April 2012

Something that Makes You Lose Track of Time

I'm stuck in the application process again. No, not for colleges. This time it's for scholarships, internships, and summer programs. While writing a short essay for a particular architecture scholarship, I began to reread my college essays for inspiration and ideas on what I should write. Then I came upon a short answer essay that I wrote for my Mount Holyoke application. I didn't remember my answer being this beautiful:

What activities make you lose track of time?


Today, I resume my current read: The Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet. It’s 10 PM so I tuck myself beneath layers of blankets and prop a firm pillow to sit against. I turn on my lamp and locate the page marked by a “Yes, I’m Actually Reading This” bookmark. And here I begin. The words flow through my mind as I recreate each scene in my head. Time continues on as I become progressively more compelled to finish each upcoming chapter. Soon enough, I read over the last sentence and don a smile of satisfaction. I turn my head to check the time, only to realize that four hours had already passed. I place my book on the side table, turn the light off and slither further under the covers, closing my eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment